What are some productive things to do when bored and feeling low?
We all have those days where we just feel like absolute crap. Where we curl up in the fetal position and remain there in the hope that somebody turns up with a big tub of ice cream.
It’s perfectly fine to have a day like this once in a while, to let your batteries recharge, but it’s not healthy to spend most days like this.
When you get to that point, it feels like there is no return and that you’ll never feel good about life again, it also feels like you’ll never find the motivation to do anything…. ever.
So what do you do to get out of the zero-motivation funk to stop you from having more low mood days?
I’ve found that doing little satisfying things one at a time really helps.
Don’t give yourself a big to-do list.
Just get up and do ONE thing, and if it makes you feel a little better, even just a tiny bit, then try something else.
Generally doing one thing gets you motivated enough to do more. So I’ve compiled a short list productive things to do when bored and feeling low.
Productive things to do when bored or feeling low:
- Turn off your phone for a while and reconnect with someone without using social media.
- Make yourself a nice big healthy breakfast. Find a new breakfast recipe on Pinterest and sit down with no distractions to eat it. Just enjoy the tastes and textures.
- Take a shower, wash your hair, get super duper exfoliated clean! Put some music on while you shower and sing your little heart out. This song is the best morning shower song.
- Run up and down the stairs. Get your adrenaline pumping.
- Write down some personal goals on an actual tangible piece of paper.
- Try on all of your clothes and match up a new outfit.
- Paint your nails so they’re all fresh.
- Practice a new make-up look.
- Go and find someone the perfect gift.
- Learn something new like how to make this DIY Leaf Backdrop or Copper Tape Art.
- Put on Eye of the Tiger and pretend you’re in a real life montage while you get ready to leave the house.
- Take a walk somewhere away from buildings to clear you head. Forest, beach, countryside lanes, mountain..
- Skip. Walking is kinda boring. Skipping is way more fun.
- Doll yourself up and take some selfies.
- Message someone you admire with a well thought out email.
- Make a plan that will get you motivated. For instance a holiday or a class you really want to take may motivate you to earn extra cash. Or the chance of a competition win may motivate you to refine your skills in that area.
- Dye your hair a fun colour.
- Bake a cake.
- Have a huge clear out – it feels really good to cleanse your material items. Donate the things you don’t want to keep to charity.
- Watch the cartoons you used to love as a kid.
- Conjure up some pranks you can pull on unsuspecting people.
- Play with Lego.
- Paint your face like it’s Halloween.
- Have a nice bubble bath, with some chocolates and wine.
- Fly a kite on the beach.
- Get yourself an adult colouring book and some colouring pencils.
- Write a poem and leave it somewhere for a stranger to find.
- Make a list of things that you love about yourself and stick it somewhere you can see everyday.
- Build a fort out of cardboard boxes and bed sheets and eat your lunch in the fort.
- Make yourself a crown and wear it all day because you are the king of your fort!
- Roll up in a duvet and pretend to be a burrito.
- Write a song.
- Clean one room.
- Go somewhere really dark and look at the stars. Maybe even take some pictures of the night sky while you’re there.
- Plan a mate date. Cinema night or dinner with a friend!
- Give yourself a big hug and tell yourself everything will be alright.
- Make yourself a priority <3
What little things do you do when you’re bored or down in the dumps? Post them in the comments.