So far I’ve never celebrated Valentines Day. Not when single, nor in a relationship. I’m not “anti-valentines day” as such – even though it’s just a commercial day for companies to sell mushy cards, overpriced chocolate and jewellery.. don’t even get me started on the life size teddy bears – but I just think if you’re going to express your affection, then do it any day, do it spontaneously, do it because you LOVE them, not because a holiday told you to.
For some, there are other reasons to hate Valentines Day. If you have a Social Anxiety Disorder it can be very difficult to start and maintain relationships. You might be single, you might have recently had a breakup, or your relationship may not be where you want it to be. Valentines day can often be a painful reminder of those things.
So instead of crying into a tub of ice-cream over a mediocre Katherine Heigl movie, try some of these things to prevent feeling depressed on Valentines Day;
- Wait until the day after and buy tons of reduced chocolates! The one good thing about commercialized holidays is that the seasonal stuff is really cheap after the holiday is over! whooo!
- Do something kind for a stranger, express love in a different way for someone who could really use some help.
- Have a date night with friends, Come Dine With Me style.
- Surprise a lonely relative/friend with a gift or dinner out.
- Go to a singles night or join a singles MeetUp Group.
- Watch really un-romantic movies, Horror films anyone?
- Treat yourself to a spa day
- Have a party (easier if you don’t have social anxiety but still..)
- Babysit for a couple who want to go out for Valentines.
- Buy yourself something nice. Go for some retail therapy.
- Watch some comedy.
- Stay up all night talking to an online friend.
- Spend the evening taking care of yourself (face masks, bubble bath, paint your nails, try something new with your hair etc.)
Remember that it means Feb is halfway over, and Spring is coming! Also think of all that money you will save!
If you still feel like you really can’t cope with Valentines Day and you would like somebody to talk to. Come on over to our group and chat to us!