Battling Anxiety can be a long and exhausting process, especially if you are undergoing therapy. It took me 9 years of solid hard work to go from being too anxious to leave the house at all to running a wedding photography business by myself without getting anxious. It can take it’s toll on you for sure!
Whilst you’re doing whatever it is you’re doing to overcome your anxiety, here’s a list of ways you can improve anxiety right now. If you’re not currently doing anything then this list will be even more helpful!
40 Ways You Can Improve Anxiety Right Now
- Put on a FUN song, that instantly cheers you up and makes you move your butt. Set it as your alarm whilst you’re at it.
- Take an energising shower, wash your hair, exfoliate the shit out of your face.
- Take deep long breaths.
- Eat healthy – it makes a huge difference to how we feel. This is the diet that works best for me but find out what works well for you.
- Watch something funny and laugh.
- Get some Vitamin D in ya! If your anxiety stops you from getting out in the sun, try a supplement. I use THESE because I don’t get out of the house much when I’m working from home and they are fab. I have so much energy afterwards which reduces my anxiety quite a bit.
- Write your thoughts down and keep track of when they typically occur.
- If you can get out, take a nice long walk somewhere quiet, away from cars, houses and people. Clear that head!
- Clean your house. Less clutter in your house, less clutter in your brain.
- Realise you can’t control every situation and that it’s okay.
- Say some nice things about yourself instead of focusing on anything negative.
- Be selfish for the day – do things just for you because it’s exhausting thinking about other people 24/7.
- Get unplugged. Turn off your phone, get off social media and do things that don’t require being logged in to something.
- Stretch your body and do some muscle relaxation.
- Do an exercise DVD.
- Try a candle-lit bath if you’re feeling stressed by your anxiety.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- Do something you know you’re already good at and give yourself a confidence boost.
- Read a self help book.
- Try and get a better nights sleep – change of diet and more exercise may help this but if you still struggle to sleep this is something worth looking into, as tiredness only promotes anxiety.
- Write a nice letter to yourself that you can read for encouragement when things get really bad.
- Do some puzzles.
- Join a support forum or Facebook group (I have one here if you’d like to sign up).
- Make a list of achievable goals that you can’t start ticking off immediately.
- Think of something you enjoy doing and go do it.
- Fix something in the house that’s been nagging at you so it isn’t in the back of your mind anymore.
- Talk to someone about your feelings.
- Do one thing that scares you a little bit – use the phone, go to the store etc. Try this exposure guide for some ideas.
- Try some essential oils.
- Do something kind for someone.
- Set yourself a craft or DIY project – you’ll feel awesome when you’ve completed it.
- Throw yourself into learning a new skill like web design, photography, baking etc.
- Make a list of things that make you grateful.
- Download an app for anxiety and stress.
- Have a friend come over and watch a movie, play some games.
- Tackle negative thoughts by only imagining positive things happening.
- Experience everything fully – take more notice of the taste of your food, the feel of your clothes, the sound of the rain.
- Pop some inspirational quotes somewhere you will see them everyday.
- Write down a list of your achievements, no matter how small and remember you can do so much more than you think.
- Listen to calming music.
These tips obviously won’t help you completely overcome your anxiety but should hopefully help you with the more immediate day-to-day stuff. If you’re struggling severely and your anxiety is unbearable, you should definitely consult your doctor and find the best treatment for you, whether it’s therapy or medication or a mix of both.
If you have any tricks of your own that help you ease anxiety quickly, I would love to here about them in the comments!